History of St. Paul Hospitals
The first Hospital founded in St. Paul and the first hospital in the territory of Minnesota was St. Joseph 's Hospital. It was started as a response to
a cholera epidemic. The nursing duties were carried on during the
epidemic by four teaching nuns of the order of St. Joseph of Carondolet.
The next year a 3 1/2 story stone building was erected as St. Joseph
Hospital occupying the same site where it now stands.
St. Luke's Hospital was founded by Reverend John V. Van Ingen. There was an Episcopal Church affiliation. In 1972 the Charles T. Miller hospital and in 1979 Riverview Hospital joined to form United Hospital . In 1980 a new hospital known as United and Children's Hospital of St. Paul was erected on the St. Luke's site.
Regions Hospital began as a City and County Hospital after the Ramsey County Board of Commissioners authorized the purchase of the 10 room mansion of Dr. Stewart . Dr. Stewart, himself, helped run the hospital until Arther B. Ancker became superintendent in 1883 and ran it for 40 years. Many additions took place under his tenure and the City Hospital was renamed Ancker Hospital following his death in 1923.
Some memorable niceties and traditions of the “old Ancker” included a 10:00 a.m. teatime served by student nurses in the breezeway between the
Nurses quarters and the hospital. The food was excellent and Ancker boasted its own bakery including the making of its own potato chips
Patient ward at Ancker Hospital Late 19 th Century
These ceased in 1965 after a new hospital was built and renamed St. Paul Ramsey Hospital . In 1987 it became a private, non-profit, hospital and renamed Regions Hospital . It remains a tertiary trauma site and University of Minnesota teaching center but is controlled by the areas
largest HMO (Health Partners).
Bethesda hospital was sponsored by the Swedish Lutheran Conference
of Minnesota . As an incentive for contributing to the hospital's building
campaign the local Swedish Lutherans, it was said, were warned that
without their own hospital they risked, in the event of serious illness,
being cared for by strangers or Catholics. The latter indirect reference no
doubt referring to the well established downtown St. Joseph Hospital . The
earliest structure, as was common in that era, was a refurbished mansion.
A second hospital was built in 1892. The current hospital was erected in
1932. Bethesda had 350 beds. Under the HealthEast revision era it ceased
operating as an acute care facility in 1987 and became a long term care
and rehabilitation hospital. At this writing it continues to function in this
capacity, unique in the region.
1905 Riverview Memorial Hospital was founded by Dr. Herman
Drecksler to serve the west side population. It carried, at first, the name
St. John's Hospital was founded by businessmen and representatives of the Lutheran Synod. In 1985 the hospital was relocated from the east side of St. Paul to its current site in Maplewood , Minnesota .
Charles T. Miller Hospital was founded by seven businessmen using funds donated by Mrs. Martha Miller, widow of Charles T. Miller. It earned the reputation of a hospital catering to the carriage trade. While it had a generous free bed population other features clearly set it apart from the utilitarian hospitals of its day. Its staff were all specialists; it had a wing designated for those willing to pay premium\ rates. One patient moved into a suite complete with his own 4 poster bed. Its internship was considered for a time, among the finest in the area. Miller Hospital merged with St. Luke's Hospital in 1972.
In 1922 Mounds Hospital on the St. Paul Bluff and Midway Hospital were founded and had Baptist Church affiliation. Both closed in 1987 during the consolidation of Healtheast hospital system. The homey atmosphere of the medical staff and quality of the nurses earned it a reputation as a welcoming place for new doctors to practice.
Divine Redeemer Hospital was founded by the sisters of the Divine Redeemer at the request of South St. Paul community representatives. It had a brief history of a community hospital in South St. Paul before being acquired by HealthEast in 1987.
In the midway district of St. Paul Northern Pacific Hospital was formed
for the purpose of caring for railroad employees, but it later assumed a
name of Samaritan Hospital . This closed in 1987 with the restructuring of
the Healtheast hospital system.
Woodwinds Hospital in Woodbury , MN is opened as the East-Metro's
In 2007 the current Hospitals are:
United Hospital the largest hospital in St. Paul . It is a downtown facility
The HealthEast System includes St. Joseph‘s Hospital (400 beds) a
Suburb of Maplewood , and Woodwinds (78 beds) a St. Paul suburban
Hospital in Woodbury , MN . Another HealthEast hospital is Bethesda
Hospital , a Rehabilitation Center , with inpatient beds for long term care.
It is located in the Capital area of St. Paul .
Region's Hospital a private HMO in-patient Hospital . It is a level 1
Trauma center and a teaching facility associated with the University
of Minnesota .
Gillette Hospital a hospital for children with rare, complex and multiple
Problems. It is located near the Region's campus.