Medical Buildings of the
Great American Universities -
During the year 1909 Edwin E. Slosson of the New
York Independent visited fifteen of the leading universities of the country and
embodied the results of his investigation of these institutions in a series of
fifteen articles in that publication. The articles were afterward reprinted in
book form and issued by McMillan in 1910.
Cass Gilbert Plans for Campus Development
Greater University of
In the spring of 1908 the Regents, desiring to obtain a. general plan for the development of the University grounds and buildings, instituted a competition in order to select an architect to prepare a plan for such development. A prize of $1,000 was offered to the architect who would submit three plans, one showing a general plan of grounds and buildings, the second a section taken in any direction, at the option of the competitor, and the third a bird's eye perspective. Plans were submitted by some of the leading architects of the country and a commission appointed by the Regents awarded the prize to Cass Gilbert. The original plans, of course, while comprehensive were only very general and the Regents entered into negotiations with Mr. Gilbert to secure definite and workable plans for carrying out his ideas for campus development. Mr. Gilbert finally consented to do the work for $10,000. The Regents contributed $4,500 of this amount and Messrs. L. S. Gillette and F. W. Clifford contributed $5500 the balance needed. Later the Regents voted to refund this Amount to Messrs. Gillette and Clifford.' Detailed plans and specifications were approved and adopted in a general way by the legislature of 1909. The location of the buildings and all improvements since made on the campus has been in general compliance with the plans adopted. Reproductions of these plans will be found in this issue of the Weekly. For a full statement of details see Western Architect published early in 1909 and the supplement to the Regents' annual report of 1908.
The Cass Gilbert plans are kept in the Anderson History Library on the west bank.
Dean Diehl spearheaded construction of the medical library. After his retirement in1958 it was decided to name the future library, Diehl hall. The construction was to include underground surgical research laboratories. Drs Wangensteen, Baker, Hastings and many others struggled to raise private money to match federal funds and complete the building. The 5th floor houses the Wangensteen history of medicine library and the 6th floor contains research laboratories for neurology, psychiatry and pediatrics.
Funds for the erection of Elliot hospital were provided by the will of Mrs. Adolphus F. Elliot, who desired the net proceeds of the sale of certain property to be used to erect a memorial to her husband. The trustee, Mr. Walter; J. Trask, asked that the money $113,000, which with interest amounted to $120,000, be used to erect a hospital; this was supplemented by a legislative appropriation of $40,000. The building was completed August 1911. It is a four story brick and stone structure and is fire proof. It contains 120 beds as follows: 60 medicine, surgery, 20 obstetrics. At the present time only internal medical, surgical and obstetrical cases are admitted.
Lab of Medical Sciences
Minnesota Medical Department
Pillsbury Memorial Gateway